Dr. Fei received his BACHELOR’s degree in Chemical Physics from The University of Science and Technology of China (2005) and his Doctorate in Chemistry from Columbia University (2010). From 2011 to 2015, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
He has been an assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Chicago since 2016. So far, he has published many research papers in top journals such as Science, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, Molecular Cell, PNAS and eLife. I was awarded Searle Scholar, NIH Director’s New Innovator Award and other awards.
The main research focus of the Fei lab is to understand the mechanisms by which RNAs and RNA binding proteins mediate gene expression and regulation in both bacteria and eukaryotes, in three major systems:
(1) The kinetics and the molecular mechanism by which the cis-acting regulatory RNA element (i.e. riboswitch) distinguishes and binds its ligand and controls gene expression in bacteria;
(2) The quantitative impact of stress-induced bacterial sRNAs on different steps of gene expression, including transcription, translation and degradation, as well as the roles of key RNA binding proteins in this regulation process;
(3) The effect of internal RNA modifications on mRNA translation and stability. In addition to the fundamental biological questions, the Fei lab is also interested in the development of new labeling, imaging and data analysis methods.
Details can be found at：https://feilab.uchicago.edu/
Requirements for applicants:
A visiting scholar or PhD in chemistry, physics, or biology, and published research papers in relevant academic journals as the first author (including acceptance).
For technician applicants:
PhD or Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, physics, or biology. Background in optical imaging, microbiology and cell biology is preferred.
2. Good English writing and expression skills.
3. Good communication and coordination skills in scientific research as well as teamwork spirit.
Application materials :
(1) resume. (2) Contact information of three referees.
We are looking for highly motivated postdoctoral, graduate and undergraduate research assistants. Applicants with background in biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics and computer science are all welcome to apply!
芝加哥大学(The University of Chicago)，简称“芝大”(UChicago)，位于美国国际金融中心芝加哥，是世界著名私立研究型大学、常年位列各个大学排行榜世界前十。 该校诞生了芝加哥经济学派等众多芝加哥学派，创立了法律经济学，约40%的诺贝尔经济学奖得主与芝大相关，是世界经济学、法学、社会学等学科最重要的研究教学中心之一。 而从曼哈顿计划起大批科学家汇集于此，在“原子能之父”费米的领导下建立了世界上第一台核反应堆、成功开启人类原子能时代，并创办了美国第一所国家实验室阿贡国家实验室和之后著名的费米实验室，奠定了芝大在自然科学界的重要地位。
芝加哥大学1890年由石油大王约翰·洛克菲勒创办，素以盛产诺贝尔奖得主而闻名。 截止2018年10月，共有98位诺贝尔奖得主在芝大工作或学习过，位列世界第四。 华裔诺贝尔物理学奖得主杨振宁、李政道、崔琦均在芝加哥大学取得物理学博士学位，华裔诺贝尔化学奖得主李远哲曾在芝大担任化学教授; 另有9位菲尔兹奖得主(世界第七)、4位图灵奖得主及25位普利策奖得主在芝大工作或学习过。 美国第44任总统奥巴马曾长期在芝大法学院教授宪法(1992-2004年)。